Thursday, February 2

Second Class

We had our second class on Monday and it was fabulous as usual! I am so surprised at how honestly enjoyable these classes are. We got to meet the on staff counselor and hear his story and his interests and after talking about it, he really got me interested in attachment research on foster children. This is something I hope to study into further while we're on this journey. I've gotten very interested in behavioral sciences and children's psychology since we've started these classes. It has unearthed a passion for study that I wasn't aware I had. Children's brains are fascinating things.
This week in class we talked about the foster care and adoption experience and we role played a situation that featured a girl named Lillie. It showed us that even normal, well meaning parents can make a couple of wrong missteps and their world can come crashing down and boom, foster care is in play. It helped explain the positives in reunification as well. That is something that is a mindset that you just keep telling yourself is the goal. Next week we'll be talking about Losses and Gains and being a Loss expert. I'm looking forward to it, but I also think it's going to be very emotional. After reading ahead a little I saw we will be doing roadwork (homework) on dealing with the grief of infertility. Wow. That should be interesting.

Today I had to go thrifting for some final pieces for my Enid Hoopes costume for Legally Blonde (we open in 8 days!). I can't believe I've barely (if any) have mentioned the show. I guess there has just been too many other things going on for me to focus on it, but it's been a really fun show to be apart of and an amazing cast to work with. I've made precious new friends thanks to it. Enid has been a great role to experience. I'll actually be the first Enid Hoopes on stage in Alabama, which I find to be very very cool! She is certainly a big comic relief in the show and I don't usually get to play 'funny'. I feel strong in my performance, but it could (and will) get so much better (oh oh oh OH, much better). It's been fun to just let go and loose myself in someone so uninhibited.

While thrifting I also bought some books for Birdie. Okay, I say some, I bought A LOT of books for Birdie. Ranging from the complete collection of Winnie the Pooh (for $1.25 SCORE), to Dr. Seuss, to Aesop's fables and tons of others. I got a total of around 50 books and I only paid $18 for them. Birdie's bookshelf is going to be STOCKED! :) Our walk through was postponed so the house is still a mess but the room is getting closer and closer! I can't wait for it to be finished and to have a place for all of these wonderful things!

No comments:

Post a Comment